August is flying by very fast. We have finally been getting some warm weather. After all of the rain we’ve gotten this spring/early summer, things are finally taking off with the heat! My Ensete is really growing fast. When I first planted it about two months ago, it was only a foot and a half tall! I applied a good amount of Oscmocote when I planted them and I believe that is really kicking in now. I have only fed the banana plants twice with liquid feed, all other waterings were with straight H2O. Everything else is really filling out as well. Early this fall I will definitely be re-arranging some plants due to crowding and different heights. I have made a few recent additions of some small, common perennials to fill in some empty spaces and to create rhythm, but they are still very small. My Cleome, Agastache, Canna and Verbena bonariensis are still blooming strong! I have a purple ornamental kale plant towards the north end of my herbaceous section that is about 3 1/2 feet tall and really neat! My Physocarpus ‘Dart’s Gold’ has really put on some new growth and excellent chartreuse color. My Cotinus has also pushed some nice, new, purple growth this year.
One plant that has showed significant decline this month was my campanula. It is similar looking to Lobelia erinus, but spreads more and has different flowers. I am not certain of the cause of death, but this will definitely be added to my ‘not to grow’ list for Joyce’s evaluations. The last thing a client would want is a plant that does not fair well without constant attention and care (unless they are willing to pay us to do it).
For my vegetable section..Things are winding down. My first harvest of beans and onions have come to an end. My second crop of beans should be coming in soon after flowering. I have yellow wax and purple wax beans. As for my tomatoes, I had to kiss them goodbye. Most all of the tomatoes in our growing area got blight this year. We decided to remove all plants to reduce the disease spores for next year. Once thing that definately contributed to the blight problems was the excessive rain we had early in the season.
Since I have ripped out my over-mature lettuces (left in for ornamental purposes) and some of my other crops, I have begun to fill in with near crops. I have planted sorghum where my tomato plant were previously. This sorghum (broom corn) will be used for a fall harvest sale along with other small pumpkins, gourds and Indian corn. I am also soon going to be ready to plant my fall lettuce, spinach and peas.
My zucchini plants have been producing well and I have kept up with picking them at the appropriate sizes lately. Both crops -yellow courgette and black beauty slowed down in production about two weeks ago, but are both picking up again. One problem I have had with my spaghetti squash is that they have mildew problems, as well as bacterial wilt. My fruits were all close to the mature size, and have mostly ripened. Because most of us are growing our plants the ‘natural way’, some of my zucchini have gotten the squash vine borer and will soon come to an end. I would have to guess that I have harvested somewhere around 160 pounds of zucchni from my black beauty alone.
Aside from needing weeded, and a bit of mulch, my veg. section is doing fine. 🙂